[elky] Re: Work on the El Camino Body Mounts today

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:10:00 -0400 (EDT)

great photos, right there with you all the way.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 9/27/2011 11:14:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

What I  did on my day 'off'....

I started the day with a _Lions  Club_ (http://genevalionsclub.org/)  Board
meeting, then came back to the garage to start work on getting  the frame
re-connected with the body of Elkenstein.

I did some welding  today, more than I bargained for, but things went well.
The new welder works  great. Got to get a cart for it though.

I welded in the metal on the  frame to keep the bushing from pushing
through it. Then buttoned up the  driver's side. I took the bolts out of the
passenger side, and raised the  body, to find that the perch that the bushing
sits on (#2 position) was also  rusted. I bet that side was almost an inch low
in that spot. I fabricated some  sheet metal and reinforced it, then welded
it in place on the top. Then I made  a run to get the long bolt for the #1
position. By then I was already late for  _Car Club with the kids at the High
 Schoo_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/stcecc.htm) l. I spent from 3 or so till
5:00 there, then came back to the garage  to finish the El Camino.

I got all the mounts secure. Now I need to  get a couple tabs on the right
front fender reinforced so I can get the inner  fenders back on. I need to
re-install the bumper fillers. The gas tank is in  the middle of the floor,
and I'll be installing a higher flow fuel pump in it.  I tested the pressure,
and it went from 11.5 to 3 lbs of pressure in about 10  minuted at idle. So
it seems to be losing pressure as it heats up. So it's no  wonder it acts
like it's going to die when it's warmed up. The new pump will  replace the
old one exactly, but it is a Vortec style and should pump 18 lbs
consistently. Then I can do some more testing to complete the custom chip
process.

One of the kids at the car club bought a 1976 El Camino SS  with 33K
original miles, about 3 months ago. It's a 400 SB car with a Turbo  400. It was
fun talking to him about it. I gave him a link to the list. he has  already
replaced the gas tank, and is waiting for a sending unit.

I  also got some new pins and rubber bushings for the brake calipers. The
right  side has been making a lot of rattling noise over bumps. Hopefully
this will  get rid of that. The pins are the only ones I have had in there for
15 years  or more, and they could be original 225K+ miles equipment. I still
have to do  those and get the gas tank back in the car to be able to drive
it, but it's  not far from ready.

For all the action, see here:
_http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_new.htm#body_mounts_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_new.htm#body_mounts)

All  for now.... I got to hit the shower and get the rust chunks out of my
hair.

1984 El Camino  "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 _http://www.myelcamino.net_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/)