[elky] Re: Race car update

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:37:56 -0600

Yep.  You got it Dan.  I'm doing my best to get the heavy-duty stuff wherever possible.  I'm still struggling with a roll cage.  If I'm going to all this trouble, a roll cage and arm restraints (I have those with my safety gear) would be the only things I'd need to run in the 150 Club.

Here are a coupla shots from today's progress:

I suppose I could have gone with grade 8 bolts here, but as I understand it they can be somewhat brittle in a twisting motion which would be (I'd think) the kinda load it's get if it had to restrain a psycho driveshaft.

The new harnesses arrived...they aren't installed, but they're close.

More tomorrow.

On 7/10/2012 9:26 AM, Dann Keller wrote:
Way to go, Ray; don't rule anything out.  But be sure all of your components are rated or known to be up to the task, but you know that.

Dan

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:51:57 -0600
From: rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [elky] Re: Race car update

I got distracted by a phone call (a good one) and that sorta delayed me a bit.  But I was able to go back out and finish drilling the mounting holes for the rear driveshaft loop, install the correct bolts for the tranny crossmember, then wipe the whole center section of the underside down and spray the areas of carnage with another coat of red paint.

Then I fell asleep at the computer.  Duh.  But I just went back out and checked the paint.  It's only about half dry.  So I scrounged up a 24 inch boxer fan and started it blowing air over the "wet paint" area.  I should be able to bolt the rear loop in tomorrow (later today, really.)  Then it's back to the connections for the transmission (shifter, fluid cooler lines, etc) and then I might be able to get it on its feet.

I may have to go get some new tires for the chrome wheels.  Those that are on there are pretty age-cracked...and if I'm gonna run the car at Mojave in late September, I dunno if the Front Runners are gonna get the job done.  I may need some Z-rated tires for that venue (no speed limit at that event....even if I can get the roll cage installed and a few other things done and enter the 150 Club class on the salt, I'm still limited to 159.999 mph) since it's on a paved surface.  Here's the website for the Mojave Mile: http://www.mojavemile.com/  That venue might allow me to run a little faster than I could on the salt...like around 170.  Hell, it might even allow me to get that car over 200 (I'd have to make some changes) and realize the goal I'd set for myself years ago when I got bitten by "salt fever."  The goal then was to run 200 mph in a car I built myself.  Hmmm...this is starting to sound interesting.

More later.

On 7/9/2012 7:56 PM, Ray Buck wrote:
Well, it's slow, but I'm makin some progress.  Before I start on this, I wanna send a "get well soon" message to Cort.  I hope you get yer ass feelin better pronto!

Ok.  Here we go.  Both racing seats are installed:

The harnesses are on order.  I'm workin on gettin a rollbar kit and talked to a guy who can install it.  I'm just tryin to sort out the details.

The aluminum driveshaft is in; here's a shot with the rear loop being fitted:

Finally, the loop is positioned and "tacked" in place with a coupla sheet metal screws.

I'm goin back out to finish bolting it in...and whatever else I can do tonite.  I still dunno if I can get it all together before World of Speed in September...but I'm tryin.