[elky] Re: Race car postmortem/reconstructive surgery

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:40:27 -0500

I am sure you will never know exactly what happened. I am curious though
...... was there a lot of vibration before the bang? Did you isolate the
source? I read Chris' theories. I wonder if the drive shaft itself was the
problem? Is it a lightweight drive shaft? Could it have twisted and started
the whole chain reaction?

I don't think I am gonna need a new drive shaft when I get a bit further,
but I am thinking twice about a high zoot one. I know the u-joints on the
Elky could use some attention, but the last time I checked it was out of my
price range to get them done. That was when I was replacing the engine and
had a lot of other expenses. I need to clean mine off and get it balanced. I
believe one of the weights has broken off (or rusted off). This will all
happen when the new transmission project is in motion. Speaking of which....
Do I need a different yoke, going from a 350C to a 200R4?

I practiced a little welding on an iron rocking chair of Mom's yesterday
when I got home from work. The center back strap had broken off, and I
tacked it at both ends, and painted it up. We dropped both outdoor rockers
off and Mom's apartment and took her out for some chili at Portillo's.  It
was a nice cool first day of Autumn here. She is having some trouble with a
rare disease that is the same thing that affects Katherine Hepburn's voice.
This only affects how she talks, and nothing else, but the family is pretty
much all she talks to, and we don't care. They used to treat this with
drugs, and surgery, but Botox to the vocal chords has produced better
results. It will take a few months before we see any change. This has been
coming on over the last year or so. There are only 14 vocal clinics in the
US, and one of them is in Chicago, so she's lucky.

I will be grinding on the frame after work tonight to get ready to weld the
washer down to the drivers side. Tomorrow I am off and will begin putting
the Elky back together again. I also have a kitchen window to remove and
replace. I have Car Club in the afternoon, along with a board meeting for
Lions Club first thing in the morning. It will be a full day Tuesday. Film
at 11.
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
Saint Charles, IL

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Jim came over today and with the purchase of a coupla sockets and
> adapters, we were able to pull the pinion yoke off an old rear end that I
> had.  It came off WAY easier than either of us thought it would.
>

> We were armed for bear, but only needed the air wrench.  I'd sprayed it
> with Kroil (about the same as PB Blaster) a few hours previously...and the
> nut just backed right out.  Same thing on the race car's yoke.
>

> That one shows the "new" yoke bolted on.
>

> The broken slip joint came out very easily...I just grabbed it with as pair
> of Vice-Grips and it jumped out just as if it wanted to get the hell outta
> there.  :)
>

> There's another shot of the old one.  I'm gonna see if I can get Denny's to
> replace it.  If they won't, I'll just get one from a junkyard and use it to
> get the car off the trailer.  Then I'll start worrying about what to do
> next.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image