[elky] Race car postmortem/reconstructive surgery

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:13:34 -0600

Jim came over today and with the purchase of a coupla sockets and adapters, we were able to pull the pinion yoke off an old rear end that I had.  It came off WAY easier than either of us thought it would.

We were armed for bear, but only needed the air wrench.  I'd sprayed it with Kroil (about the same as PB Blaster) a few hours previously...and the nut just backed right out.  Same thing on the race car's yoke.

That one shows the "new" yoke bolted on.

The broken slip joint came out very easily...I just grabbed it with as pair of Vice-Grips and it jumped out just as if it wanted to get the hell outta there.  :)

There's another shot of the old one.  I'm gonna see if I can get Denny's to replace it.  If they won't, I'll just get one from a junkyard and use it to get the car off the trailer.  Then I'll start worrying about what to do next.