[elky] Re: A/C line

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:33:29 -0500

That is was. I am off this weekend. Today I'll put that little gem in the
Elky. I need to get out and walk to keep the joints working. I've been
working way too much and not getting out there to keep moving.

              Drove my elky a couple weeks ago. Will probably drive it
tomorrow to make a materials run to HD. Need to start getting hardie board
for the tile floor. Just finished putting down travertine in a project I
have been working on for a while and she now wants that in the laundry room.
Luckily I overbuild floors so it's stiff enough for natural stone. The
laundry room and toilet are about 120sq ft. People don't have a clue what it
really costs to put any tile down. They see 69 cent tile at HD and think
it's not an expensive job.... Figure floor reinforcement, thinset, then
hardie board, then more thin set, tile, tile sealer,grout, grout sealer and
tile shiny sealer. And then the $$$ screws to put the board down.. Easily
add $3-8 a sq foot to the cost of the tile then that'll get you a rough
number of actual cost but on the low end if structure has to be reinforced.

> We are thinking Pergo.

               I'm not a big fan of the laminate floorings. Some are better
than others but still not a big fan of them. I'm not impressed with the
durability of them.Some of the 3/4 all wood click together stuff is decent
like the bamboo stuff.

>>> On Sunday morning, I am going to take the Mini out on a little road trip.
>>> I'll be meeting my brother in Walcott,
>>

>>                      I had my fun with small cars last weekend when we
>> went up to Dayton and drove Geri's sisters Miata up to wright-pat and Air
>> Force museum.  That little car well... I don't see why they were so popular.
>> Extremely underpowered needs another two gears and made for tiny people.
>> Cruising at 60 it's revving 3400rpm in 5th gear!!!   There is no way you
>> could drive that thing at freeway speeds here. At 70 it sounds like it wants
>> to blow up. Oh and no power steering so tough to steer at anything under
>> 30mph. U-turns are difficult. Geri kind of liked it and I told her this is
>> just like driving an old TR7 etc. In fact it really isn't any better than
>> one...
>>                So if she really wants a little car like that one day I'll
>> have to put power steering in it and maybe an ecotec engine and auto trans.
>> Geri drives a stick and she has had enough of driving them and won't be
>> getting another standard.
>>

> Drive a Mini. Mine got over 35 mpg at 75 MPH. In 6th gear, the direct
> injection 4 never dropped below what the cruise was set at. Ever. It was
> under 3000 RPM at 75. I am sure that you wouldn't even notice if it was in
> 5th at that speed. In fact, on the freeway here, you have to run 5th to be
> able to get around the idiots, and help with engine braking in heavy
> traffic. I love that car. It cost me $13.50 to get 150 miles away. I filled
> up, because Iowa gas is way cheaper. If I had known, I wouldn't have even
> had to fill it before I left.

       I expect 45mpg from the mini. Got 36mpg in the 93 le sabre and it was
allot more comfortable though soft suspension.

            In the Miata she kept shifting looking for another gear... Her
PT cruiser manual barely gets 23 mpg on the freeway. The auto version gets
better as the engine doesn't spin as fast. It only has 5 gears cause the
engine barely has enough power in 5th..

>>> IA (at the world's largest truck stop) to swap heaters. That
>>>  should be cool too ;)  I have a killer heater in the garage. Robert can
>>> tell you.... you stay warm in there.
>>

>>                Yeah that thing gets extremely hot.... Even with as cold as
>> it was outside and the door being opened a couple times it took no time at
>> all to get it warm enough to wear shorts and t-shirt. I have to look at
>> running a gas line from the shop to the pipe that used to supply the guest
>> house that no longer exists. I'd like a pellet stove in the shop but they
>> are extremely cost prohibitive. Even used they are very pricey.
>>

>>> The problem is, that if it is too close to a car, or anything else, it
>>> converts to a paint stripper, or Greek meat brazing device. Brother Jim is
>>> currently renting, and my heater is portable and 100K BTU (overkill for the
>>> garage), and has a long rubber natural gas line so it can be moved around.
>>> He has a permanent unit that is about 50K BTU that hangs from the ceiling,
>>> and has a fan and can be wired with a Thermostat. Since I won't be going
>>> anywhere, I figure this will clear up some floor space in the garage. Having
>>> the fan will be nice, because I won't have to deal with a box fan to move
>>> the air around to keep things from getting too hot (Like I do now). And, it
>>> will be nice to just turn on the thermostat.
>>>

>>            Only down side is it will take twice as long to get up to temp
>> but will better maintain temp as no fiddling with it like the old one. That
>> heater is much newer than the ones I have repaired.... The older ones are
>> often hard or impossible to get parts for. Have had to buy similar rated
>> switches for other heaters and modify them to fit.
>>

> According to brother Jim, it is working great. I thought I would need a gas
> valve, but it has been replaced. Jose next door is an heating and cooling
> guy, and he said he can put a different control unit on this to make it so I
> can just run the fan too. We'll play with it in warmer weather.   I got the
> 2x6 hung with steel straps to the joists Sunday. I want to play around with
> the hanging points to make it turn in just a bit for better circulation.

             Cool. That heater is going to take up allot of space in the
garage.

>>> I have been thinking about putting a small vent fan in the garage to
>>> clear out fumes and heat in the summer too. It is sealed up pretty well now,
>>> and the new insulated door is really nice. I love my garage. It's turning in
>>> to quite the Man Cave.
>>> JC
>>>

>>                        If you want a fan to suck out fumes with the door
>> closed look at a bath fan. Not the ones in the ceiling but the large inline
>> ones. They come in many sizes and the fan can be in the attic so you don't
>> hear it run. They are made for an all in one bath fan for houses. Just
>> ducted to each bathroom. Quieter and much more airflow and quiet.
>>

> Good idea. I would like to pipe the downstairs bath room vent to it too.
> That thing is really noisy.

               They work really well. Amazon has them easy to find though
not always the best prices.

>>                           Well will post pics of the textured and primed
>> walls in the laundry room. Just put down the last piece of subfloor. Kept it
>> open as long as I could as it was easier access to under the house than the
>> real one. It's hot here... 93* today and supposed to only be 70* tomorrow.
>>

>>                          Robert Adams
>>

> I'll eventually get pictures of what we are up to as well.
>
> JC

              Was watching the lightning as the little bit of rain just came
through as the cold front got here. Will take pics tomorrow. Gotta call
resdoor tomorrow and see what they want for an outswing door for the laundry
room to garage door.

                       Robert  Adams