[elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:27:57 -0400 (EDT)

nice

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 8/8/2011 2:29:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I think I mentioned this before,  but I'm gonna try this on the salt to
keep the Burb's battery charged while I  use inverters for this and that
instead of running the  motor:

I just tested it and it works fine...as long as the  battery it's charging
doesn't fall below 11 volts.  Then it shuts itself  off and suggests that
you charge the battery.  (?!??!!?) It has a fairly  decent controller box, run
from the panels themselves (I'd hate to think I'd  need AA batteries or an
AC source to run it on) and a ton of different output  levels.

I got it from Harbor Freight for $150 with a  coupon.  I'm hoping it'll
save me enough in gas to help defray some of  the purchase price.

I'll have to figger out a way to secure it to the  Burb's roof rack that
can be quickly set up and torn down.  I've got a  ton of bungee cords, so
that'll prolly be better than duct tape.   :)  Stay tuned to see how it works
out.

JPEG image