[elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:22:37 -0500

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dann Keller <kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Good for you; your area would seem great for that.  Does your local
> utility buy the power you produce and then give you credit against your
> bill?

            If you have the old mechanical meter the meter just either slows
or runs backwards when power is going back to the grid. Now with the newer
electronic meters you have to have them type a few keystrokes in their
computer and they will buy back excess power. You also get to keep the
renewable energy credits so you can sell them on the market to companies
that need them to meet their emission credits...
         The electronic ones won't run backwards but will show an arrow when
power is going into the grid.

                We would need about a 6K watt system for about what we use.
This summer more than that.

> It's good to see at least the Evergreen panels are US made.  In Arizona
> they get tax credits for installing China-made panels.

          Basically no warranty on the china panels... Course on any of them
there is no way to know how long anyone will be in business.

          There is also a company in Saginaw MI making panels now. They are
hiring ex auto workers.(don't get me started on how overpaid they
were/are...)

> What really torques me off is our regional utility brags about all the
> "green" wind power units they are installing and getting tax credits for,
> and the damn things are made in Brazil and shipped up here.    If there is a
> savings grace they aren't being intalled by Chinese; but maybe by those
> other illegal types, ya never know.

             Yeah I see them on the road every day here on their way up from
the port in Houston.

> Enough ranting for one night, but with jobs so damn scarce I resent tax
> credits being used to create jobs in foreign countries.
>
> Dan

                Yup. And our corporate culture wasn't so greedy we could
easily compete with many of those imports.

              Robert Adams