[elky] Re: A slightly unusual battery charger

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:27:04 -0400 (EDT)

Here in NC the highway road crew's have them along the road on utility
trailers. Hmmmmmmmmmm they are already on wheels, I wonder how long they will
last? They are expensive.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 8/8/2011 5:21:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Ingenuity

nice

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 8/8/2011 2:29:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

I think I mentioned this  before, but I'm gonna try this on the salt to
keep the Burb's battery  charged while I use inverters for this and that
instead of running the  motor:

I just tested it and it works fine...as long  as the battery it's charging
doesn't fall below 11 volts.  Then it  shuts itself off and suggests that
you charge the battery.  (?!??!!?)  It has a fairly decent controller box, run
from the panels themselves (I'd  hate to think I'd need AA batteries or an
AC source to run it on) and a  ton of different output levels.

I got it from Harbor Freight  for $150 with a coupon.  I'm hoping it'll
save me enough in gas to  help defray some of the purchase price.

I'll have to figger out a  way to secure it to the Burb's roof rack that
can be quickly set up and  torn down.  I've got a ton of bungee cords, so
that'll prolly be  better than duct tape.  :)  Stay tuned to see how it works
out.

JPEG image