[elky] '80 Alternator

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:53:22 -0500

Lately the battery in the '80 has been going dead.  Since the
alternator tested good in June I thought it couldn't be bad, yet I had
it tested again today and it failed.  This alternator was a Delco
reman that I installed in '05.  I think I'm going to spring for a new
lifetime warranty unit.

This is a CS130 alternator installed when I converted to an F-body
serpentine belt accessory drive, details here:
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/c/l/clindh/serp.html

Although I used the factory warning light wire for the "L" exciter
wire I'm not confident this circuit has been reliable.  At times the
volt gauge indicated the alternator was charging off and on.  I
attempted to check the resistance of the circuit but I'm getting 1200
ohms resistance, and my meter has puts a negative sign in front of
that, which has me confused.

I think I should run a dedicated "L" exciter wire.  I can run a wire
from the ignition-on plug that used to power the HEI distributor.  I'm
thinking I should wire in a resistor in a wire from that plug to the
alternator (what ohm, what watt resistor?).  I'll also wire an 8 gauge
lead from the alternator to the battery, like Robert has suggested.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris