[edi581] Melissa Osburn on Clifford Stoll

  • From: Melissa Osburn <mdosburn02@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: G C <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:00:19 -0800 (PST)

While reading Clifford Stoll's interview comments, I found myself agreeing on
one comment but then disagreeing on the next.  His opening argument stating
that students need peer / teacher interaction is correct.  I believe this to be
true at the middle school level where I teach.  Students need to build
communication / working together skills with eachother; as well as interact
with teachers when those teachers may be one of the few positive adult role
models these students have to look up to.  In my school however, I do not see
computers taking over this important function.  Even with dealing in our one
computer per classroon set-up (not including labs) I am still wanting the
students to use what resources we have and get more exposure than they
currently do.  I think what Stoll meant when he referred to instant
gratification was the ease searching with Google or Yahoo allows research to
come right to you.  I hope students will still learn good research techniques
with hard copy
 resources in the library, and also be taught to use good search practices on
the internet.  Just this week I had my students create their own Escher
Diagrams (pictures created with interlocking geometric tiles).  Some students
did them by hand (art ability not counted in the grade!) while a few used MS
Paint and showed they really understood the creation process as they made
beautiful pictures. Having students leave high school wth basic word
processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation skils is imperative; but
being able to enhance their learning with some technology integration can
provide an equally important learning experience.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx