[ebooktalk] Re: me and my I-Pad

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:27:04 +0000

All of the below should also be useful  to Trish with her iPhone.

Hi Dave and congratulations on your purchase.  Alison has covered increasing
and decreasing reading speed but you need to be aware that this will also alter
the speed at which the voice gives you all other information relating to the
iPad.  And because the books are read by Voiceover, not by a different TTS
engine, yes, you can read all books text enabled or not, so ya boo sucks to
those miserable publishers who tried to stop us.

Next apps. In my experience it's best to buy the apps from the device for which
they're intended.  This is usually done by going into the app store double
tapping the search button and then entering either the name of an app or the
subject you want apps for.  So you might, for instance, do a search for
:"Radio".  However, I think I can save you some time there.  I'd strongly
suggest getting the BBC iPlayer Radio app as this allows you to listen to all
BBC networks and local stations and the latest version of it also helps you
build up your podcast library.  For a wider variety of stations beyond the BBC,
indeed, for stations across the world in many different genres, I'd recommend
Tune-In Radio.  There are two versions.  the basic one is free and that allows
you to build up a list of favourite stations from a well laid out list of
genres or localities.  Tune-In Radio Pro is, I think, a couple of quid and its
main advantage is that it allows you to record output from the stations you've
selected.

I'm pretty sure Tap Tap see is free, but you will always be asked for your
iTunes user name and password even when downloading free apps.  One other you
might want to look at is MBraille.  This produces a virtual Braille keyboard on
the screen which then enables you input text for messages or tweets in Grade 2.
 The simple version which allows texting and tweeting is free.  The more Copley
one in which you can also do emails and notes and some other stuff is around
twenty-five quid.  I've still not committed to buying the full version.

In addition to all of these you should also get the BBC iPlayer app, different
from iPlayer Radio.  this means you can stream and download TV shows and stream
radio shows for as long as they're up there.  Downloads are not permanent, they
stay on your iPad for around 30 days.  I watch hardly any television except via
my iPad now.  That, for instance, is how I caught up with the recent Nick Jones
programme.

One good reason for having a case is that it means you can read books from your
Kindle app on the go without the reading being interrupted by accidental
touching of the screen.  Some cases, however, also lock the screen which means
that reading stops all together.  When reading you also need to lock the
orientation of your screen in portrait.  To do this you bring up the control
centre by going to the status bar right at the top of the screen then doing a
three finger swipe up to bring up the control centre.  Once in there, find
Orientation and turn the lock on by double tapping.  This method assumes your
iPad is on IOS7.  You can find this out by going into settings/general/about.

right, this has been very long but I hope it's useful.

Good luck with the device and keep the questions coming.