[ebooktalk] Other worlds, others times - or almost.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:46:11 +1000

Hello1

I have read a number of books in recent weeks, many taking me to new places
and old times.

The Moving Finger: Agatha Christie. Miss Marple. Vastly different to the
(Joan Hickson) TV version which I know and love; even better.

I know she is not a favourite with the list but I loved it.

A Fortunate grandchild: Miss Read. Memoir. Different times, different
worlds. Set mainly between the two wars. Gentle and reflective. Rather dull
but very brief.

Pat of Silver Bush: L. M. Montgomery. Loved it but it definitely got better
as it progressed. Can't decide about the ending. Thank you, Clare.

Small Island. Andrea Levy. So much overt suffering and discrimination.

The Naming of Eliza Quinn: Carol Birch. Powerful and so sad. Knew things
were bad in Ireland during the potato famine but had no idea of the extent.

The Future Homemakers of America: Laurie Graham. American idiom annoying
initially but got used to it; wonderful read! Couldn't put it down. Began on
a U.S. air-base in Norfolk in 1952 and covered several decades.

Re-read: Anne of Windy Willows. Book 4. L. M. Montgomery. Loved it as much
as ever;

parts I remembered well, other parts not at all!

Mentioned earlier: Vortex: Jon Cleary. 1977. Excellent writing; brilliant
descriptions of tornadoes in America.

A Waltz for Matilda: Jackie French. 1894 to 1915. Absolutely loved it.
Began a while ago.

Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away Christie Watson. Loved it. Thank you, Shell.

(Only jarring note was the American-sounding dialogue of the British
oil-workers.)

Bring Up the Bodies: Hilary Mantel.

Rain Stones. Jackie French. Short story collection, 1992.

The Cuckoo's Calling: Robert Galbraith. (J. K. Rowling.) Really enjoyed it;
Unlike Pele, didn't guess the murderer.

Now reading "Land Girls", Angela Huth. Enjoying it very much. Thank you
again, Clare.

Take care,

Elaine