[duxuser] Re: when to use computer braille

  • From: "Lynn Carroll" <lynnc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:42:11 -0600

Teri

I agree with those who say use Computer Braille Code for all the stuff
you mentioned.  You'll want to use DXB's compinline style where they are
within sentences. compdisplay is used when the item is "displayed" in
print, that is, set off on its own line with either skipped lines around
it or indented differently than surrounding text.

This is spelled out officially in Appendix C of BANA's "English Braille,
American Edition, 1994, revised 2002.
I quote:
  Braille all e-mail, website and other Internet addresses, file names,
and the like according to the rules of the Computer Braille Code, ...
  Place a statement similar to the following on the transcriber's notes
page:
Computer Braille Code has been used to braille the electronic addresses
(file names) in this volume. No contractions are used. Numbers are
brailled in the lower part of the cell and no number sign is used. See
list of Computer Braille Code symbols on special symbols page.

The appendix goes on to present some of the more commonly needed symbols
and rules of the Computer Braille Code.

For what it's worth,

Lynn Carroll
Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind