[duxuser] Re: taa, tab, and tas codes

  • From: "Lynn Carroll" <lynnc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:52:30 -0700

Dear Rick and others who may be interested,

George may beat me to answering your question, but I'll give it a try
anyway.  We may have different solutions.  I often find columned
material is easiest done putting only the first column in the print
file, then completing each line in the braille file after the rest of
the document is set up as desired.

However, yours is an example where setting it all up in print with codes
would be fairly easy.  My answer assumes that you are following North
American (BANA) rules.  I'll start with the simpler case in which you
don't need leader dots, which is easily done by setting tab stops
instead of using [tab] or [taa]. Then I'll explain how to change things
to get the leader dots.

First, you need to know how many cells your longest entry or heading
line in the left-hand column will take.  We'll assume 15 cells is the
correct number (or you can use trial and error).  Next you need to clear
the tabs, because as I understand it, the default is a stop every 2
cells.  So enter the code: [ctb].  Next set tab 1 at cell 18 (15-cell
width plus 2 blank cells plus 1).  The code will be entered: [stb1l18],
that is "set tab 1 to left align at cell 18".

Now you start your columns.
Type the 1st line of the 1st heading, then press the tab key, which
enters the code: [>], and type the 1st line of the 2nd column heading,
followed by [l].  Then do the same with the second line of the column
headings.  The line between the headings and the entries is a little
tricky, and requires you to enter the ascii symbols to be included
untranslated, as follows: [q~"33333333333333].  This will give a dot 5
followed by 14 cells of dots 25. Press tab and repeat, then end the
line.  The rest is just entering your numbers separated by the tab key
with [l] or [<] at the end of each line.

You should have your 2 headings separated by 2 cells, followed by the
column separation lines and your numbers below the headings.  To get the
leader dots is more complicated because you can't use the tab key, and
because there normally is just 1 cell between the last leader and the
next column, while you need 2 blank cells.  So first, you will set the
tab 1 cell to the left of the previous example: [stb1l17].  (You'll be
adding a blank space at the beginning of the second column.)  Do the
headings and separation line as above, except press the space bar after
the tab key.

When you get to your numeric entries, replace the tab with the code:
[#1:p~"], which means "go to tab stop 1, adding partial fill with dot 5
(ascii ")" and press the space bar once before entering the second
column number.

All this could be done without setting the tab, but using [tab17:p~"]
and space bar between columns, and [tab18] between column headings.  I
just wanted to illustrate use of set tabs, too.

I tried all this myself and it worked, assuming I've described it
correctly above!

Lynn Carroll
Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind