[duxuser] Re: searching for and replacing tab charecters

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:41:06 -0000

Hi Brett,

There are two ways to do this.  In DBT and in Word itself.  I'll explain both
just in case either is useful for anyone.

In DBT, you MUST be in Coded view (Alt + F3)

Place your cursor where you wish to begin the search.

From the Edit Menu, select either Find, or Replace, depending on what you want
to do.

With your cursor in the "Text To Find:" Text Box, hold down the Ctrl key, and
press left square bracket.  A pair of red square brackets will appear with your
cursor between them.

Type > (Greater than), which creates the DBT code for Tab [>].  If you are in
the replace Dialog, tab to the, "Replace with:" Text box, and type in what you
want to replace the Tab Code with.  This can be text, or another code, or both.

Remember that if you are replacing a Tab, you may wish to replace it with
something, even if only a space.

Click on OK, and it should be fairly intuitive from there.

In Word, (and not knowing your version I will have to be shade vague here) when
you are in the Edit Menu : Replace dialog, you should find a button called
"More".  Make sure your cursor is on the "Find What:" text box,  Click on the
"More" button and the dialog will expand.  (Observe the check boxed options for
future reference)

Now you will see two buttons, "Format" and "Special".  Click the "Special"
button, and a list will appear.  "Tab Character" is fairly near the top of the
list, so navigate to highlight it, and press Enter.

You will now see that the "Find what:" box contains ^t  (Circumflex or caret,
and the letter t)

In future, you will doubtless remember common codes used, so you won't have to
keep looking up the list.

You can also use these codes in the "Replace with:" box if you wish.

Hope this helps.

George Bell.

---