[duxuser] Re: regarding the lysons floppy disk

  • From: Daniel Vejil <dvejil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:39:02 -0600

Hello,

There is one more solution to this type of problem which you did not list here, and that is to ship out a Dongle connector with each product purchased, so that the user would have to have the Dongle connected to the computer in order to use DBT. Joe Sullivan told me about these types of connectors in 1990 or 1991, and said that he might consider using them if it appeared that a lot of pirated copies of DBT were being utilized without user purchase.

Since I now own the last DBT product for DOS that will ever be made, and since I do not need a Dongle connector to operate it, I would guess that pirated software didn't show up in such large numbers, as to make Dongles necessary. However, unless Duxbury Systems Inc., has changed its corporate mind concerning Dongles and their use, the possibility still exists.

Daniel Vejil

At 08:04 AM 3/29/04 -0500, you wrote:

I do not think that you will have to worry about obtaining license
numbers or obtaining authorization codes in order to register DBT in
the future.  I can think of at least four solutions.  There are
probably more.

1.  The product code or authorization key would be written on the
product box and you would be asked to type it into an edit field
during the installation.;

2.  The license number would be stored in a file on the CD, in the
same way as it is now stored on a floppy disk.  It would be installed
to the hard drive along with the rest of the software;

3.  On-line registration, in the same way that a number of programs
are now accessing the product company's web site to obtain
authorization and machine codes;

4.  If you had just bought a computer and you had not yet signed up
with an internet provider, a temporary license or access code could be
written into the software so you can start using the program.  The
code or license might allow you to use the software for 30 days to
give you time to contact the company to obtain a full authorization or
license key that would give you unlinited access.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber