[duxuser] -braille Display Problem

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:32:44 +0100

Hi,

I'm forwarding this to the duxuser and also cc-ing it to Louise, who
forwarded it originally to the Blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  list.  Please
reply (or cc) to Louise also, since she's not on the duxuser listserv.
Duxbury is not widely known on other blindness related lists.  For my
part, I think this problem is one of JAWS-related inaction with DBT.
I'd also like to suggest checking braille and print full page view in
the default views setting under Global settings...

Looking forward to the default inclusion of specific JAWS scripts in
upcoming versions of DBT.  Received Message follows:

A friend asked me to post this to a list which might help her.  The
description of her problem follows:

> I am having a problem which I am wondering if someone out there might
be
able to help me to resolve. I am using Jaws 5.0, latest update of March,
2004, the Duxbury braille translation program (version 10.4), a Dectalk
speech card, and a Navigator 40-cell/8-dot braille display on a Windows
98
system. Particularly when I am in Duxbury, whenever I am trying to
format
material, I am finding that a blank line does not show up as a "true"
blank
line. In a large percentage of instances, the line which is supposed to
be
blank is both spoken by the speech synthesizer as well as shown on the
braille display as the previous line. In other words, if, for example,
the
first line contains: He is at the store. and the second line is supposed
be blank,  the blank line will be spoken and displayed on the braille
display as "He is at the store". If I actually force a blank line after
that
second line (which is supposed to be blank), I end up with an extra
blank
line. Is there something in the settings  option of Windows which needs
be reset so that the "true" blank lines are shown in fact as blank
lines?

> This problem causes a lot of problems for me as I am trying to format
braille or print documents--as this happens in both environments. I am a
certified proofreader who wants the braille document that I am trying to
produce with Duxbury to show the true formatting, not all of these
"ghost"
lines. Any assistance on this sort of problem would very much be
appreciated. Thank you in advance.