[duxuser] Re: adobe pdf

  • From: Patrick Burke <burke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:54:58 -0700

The 6.0 Adobe Reader has one interesting option that can help:

Edit Menu, Preferences. Choose the Reading tab. There are several choices that affect the Read Aloud feature, but there is also a Reading Order list box. This changes the order of the text presentation.

So, if the original conversion of the document doesn't work, try changing this Reading Order setting. The choices are "Infer reading order from document" (good if it is well marked up), "Left-to-right, top-to-bottom" and "Raw print format".

Patrick

At 12:32 AM 9/23/2003, David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Steve said,

> I keep hoping that some day, Adobe will fix their
> accessibility
> module so it works correctly, but we're not there yet.

Using the free Acrobat reader version 6, the save as plain text
works, but with the frustrating mixed text that Lloyd mentioned.
What's worse is that its often difficult to spot the mixed text.
Works well for plain pages, not nice at all for documents with
sidebars, multiple columns, images etc.

With the full product 400 dollars US, its possible to
save in other formats which can be transformed into cleaner text.

regards DaveP.

* * * * This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting //www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *