[duxuser] Re: adobe pdf

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:11:18 -0400

Well, at least there's another option. Thanks for the info and the URLs. I'll be interested in anything you discover about this software when you actually start using it.

Steve

On Tuesday 9/23/03 12:56 ChrN3292@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 09/23/2003 7:15:57 AM Central Daylight Time, s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On Tuesday 9/23/03 03:32 David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>With the full product 400 dollars US, its possible to
>save in other formats which can be transformed into cleaner text.

Another product now on the market may be more appropriate for most people. PDF Converter from ScanSoft is $50. I have ordered it, but haven't gotten it yet. For more info, check out

<http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/>http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/

You can also go to

<http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/demo/>http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/demo/

where you can download 4 pdf demo pages, along with the converted doc files. Once you open the doc file in Word, make sure you choose Show characters, so you can see how it really looks.

The one nice thing about this is that you get actual paragraphing, whereas if you use a copy/paste routine, every line is a paragraph. You also get the correct text order. The downside is that you get the graphics, which would have to be cleaned up. There will be a fair amount of cleanup required in Word, before you would want to bring some of these files into DBT. Since I don't have the software yet, I don't know if there is an option to export without graphics (you have that option in Adobe Acrobat).

If the file was originally a graphic before it was saved as a pdf, this software won't work. Also, if the pdf has security measures applied, you can't bypass that.

OmniPage, as well as other OCR software, has the capability of converting pdf files, and so that would also be a viable option for the odd time you might need to convert a pdf file.

Susan