[duxuser] Re: HP keyboards

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:03:40 -0500

Susan,

Unless you substituted a working keyboard for a non-working one, you really don't know for sure if the problem lies with the keyboard, or with the keyboard driver in the machine where the keyboard didn't work correctly. This question may have as much to do with software as it does with hardware.

Steve

On Wednesday 3/24/04 10:42 Susan wrote:

Brands and model numbers are a start, but not a guarantee. I was involved in
a training once, with 12 identical computer setups. Eight of the keyboards
could not do 6-key entry. All the keyboards had the same model number, but
obviously the chip was not the same in all of them.

As far as HP goes, my husband and I have owned 6 HPs over the years. All
of the keyboards (including my notebook) would do 6-key entry ... until the
one I got last fall. And of course, it's very possible that if I had gotten another
box with the same model or a different model, the keyboard would have worked.

As the saying goes, it's a crap shoot. You buy, you try, and you return it if
necessary.

Susan

George Bell wrote on 3/24/2004, 9:27 AM:

Does it have a model number?