[duxuser] Comments to the list and comments about transcribing braille.

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:54:31 -0500

Hello everyone:

I know that my following comments are probably going to bring a lot of
criticism down upon my head.  Well!  As president Truman said "if you
can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Deep Breath!  here goes!

It seems to me, that there are a lot of questions being asked on this
user list that are nothing to do with the operation of DBT and more to
do with the settings of different braille embossers.

Over the years, I have owned four Enabling Technologies braille
embossers and five Index braille embossers.  All seven machines came
with both print and braille manuals.  As manuals go, the manuals from
Enabling Technologies are some of the easiest to follow and
understand.  The manuals from Index, in my opinion, could and should
be translated better.  Although, I did not have too much difficulty
understanding the instructions.  If I needed to know how to change the
settings for either manufacturers machines, I used to use the
appropriate manual in order to find out how to make the necessary
changes.  Contacting a user list such as this would have been my last
resort.

May I suggest that this should be the first place individuals should
look or, contact the manufacturer/Supplier of the embosser to obtain
this type of information, before contacting the list.

If an individual is intending to be certified as a braille
transcriber/proofreader, in their particular country, knowing how to
change the settings for different sizes of paper in the embosser or
embossers that you use to produce braille and how to change the
settings in DBT are some of the most basic and important things you
must know and learn if you are even to begin producing high quality
braille.  If an individual cannot make these kinds of changes for each
project as necessary, without referring to other users to help them,
then they might want to consider another line of work or, study more
of the basics before committing themselves to a business that can have
very tight turn-around times and very tight dead-lines, that must be
met in order not only to be successful but also to gain a good
reputation for producing high quality braille.

The knowledge I have gained in using different braille transcription
programs, including using DBT for the past 4 years, to produce my
braille projects and products over the past twenty-three years, has
been achieved with: a great deal of hard work, lots of reading, lots
of experimentation and using Duxbury's excellent Technical Support
service.

Now, I not only hope to get answers to some of my DBT questions from
some of you but, I would like to be able to help others with some of
the techniques and knowledge that I have learned over the past
twenty-three years.

I hope that the contributions I have made so far since joining the
list have been of help and use to some of you.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber