[duxuser] Re: BANA vote on UEB

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:38:08 -0000

I don't really want to get in to an expended discussion here about the
merits or otherwise of UEB, nor the politics involved.

What I will say however, is that over the past 30 years or so, print
material has changed considerably, especially with the extensive use
of the computer and internet.

Consequently braille simply must catch up, or will become way too
complex in terms of trying to get print converted to braille.

There are now thousands of characters which the six dots of braille
has to explain.  Issues like e-mail addresses which include unspaced
periods were never a problem 30 years ago or more.  We now have
telephone symbols and all manner of other symbols appear on a regular
basis. And the list goes on and on.

However, 20 years of work has gone into UEB and a priority has been to
do the utmost to keep regular literary braille a simple as possible.
Hence I very much doubt anyone will have serious difficulty in that
area.