[duxhelp] Re: Windows Installer Warnings

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:12:53 -0400

Michael,

I'm please to hear that you consider the errors/warnings to be few.  In
fact, I run a validator every time the installer is built, so I am aware of
errors and warnings.  However, I run the validation before the
"Localizations" and "Localized_Errors" tables are added, so I haven't
previously seen many of the errors you report.

"Localizations" and "Localized_Errors" are our own tables.  They contain the
strings for user interfaces other than English; these are taken from a
database that our localizers edit through an interface on the partners web
site.  I'll have a look at those errors.  But my guess is that errors in
these tables will at worst cause parts of the UI to be run in English in
spite of the efforts of our localizers.

The warnings are in dialogs that simply aren't used by our installer, so I
have never given them a second thought.

The errors other than those in the Localizations and Localized_Errors tables
are a bit troubling; I've been staring at them for months, without knowing
just what to do about it.  As you presumably know, DBT doesn't support "per
user" installations.  DBT has some requirements that make installation by
somebody without administrative rights ill-advised and make two "per-user"
installations on the same machine impossible.  So we just gave up the idea
of even offering "per user" installations.  Moreover, though DBT does have
some "per user" features (SWIFT, the BANA Template for Word, and JAWS
scripts), these are installed for each user not through MSI but through code
within DBT itself.  We don't support Advertisement of DBT features at all.
Perhaps it would be possible to try running the MSI file to Advertise
features, but I haven't tried it and don't recommend that you do.

Given those limitations -- that we don't support Advertising, and we support
only Administrator-run per-machine installations -- I haven't tried to nail
down those errors, worrisome as they seem at first.  Do you believe that I
should?