[duxhelp] Re: Survey

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:43:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
1. I like the configuration for multiple embossers, even though this is a
feature, I am not currently using.  The help files are greatly improved.  I
am exstatic about unicode support, implemented in the autobuilds, before the
beta but not in 10.4  I like the increase in braille translation tables,
with implementation for Dutch and Danish contracted braille.  Because of
braille's rather uncertain status in the developing world, these tables will
help keep alive a system that is now in a state of flux.

2.  This is a wish list, with no practical basis in terms of the product as
it stands now, but I hope they will be implemented down the road.

A.  a customizable duscii table, allowing user definable symbols.

B. Full support for all the SGML families, including transparent conversion
from html and xhtml to braille.

C.  An interface with adobe acrobat files.

D.  Full support for 8-dot braille, again with the facility to customize the
output based on duscii.
E. To corner the German market, although the jury is out in so far as
exactly what grade or grades of braille are being used in German-speaking
countries.

I'm not asking for a whole lot am I.  and support for Indian languages, so I
can put out the corpus of old vedic texts.

3. This is a difficult question to answer. I had no deadlines to meet, was
not working under pressure.  I was saddened by the list going dead for long
intervals.  As far as I know everybody's questions were answered rigorously.
I learned how difficult a programmer's job really is.  I have some
satisfaction in having been able to help George, with a couple of minor bug
fixes. Maybe I could react most to your dissapointment on not meeting the
projected deadline, but I think everybody at Duxbury did a marvelous job.

4. Peter, you were highly responsive to all my queries, and didn't hesitate
to take me to task when I drifted off topic. I found this kind of feedback
extremely valuable.

5.  I never seemed to have any trouble with downloading either autobuild or
beta from the partner's sight.  I am a bit confused about the concept of a
cd image, but always managed to obtain the executable  What I would have
liked to do was completely remove any data retained in the registry, on a
fresh install.  I wanted to start afresh, rather than having many of my
settings retained between autobuilds. This may be due, in part, to my
malware ridden system, or I need to master the registry.

Thank you for the privelege in being allowed to take part in the beta.

Jack