[duxhelp] "Smart" apostrophe

  • From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:01:25 -0500

Hi,

Ever since we installed 10.5 we have had a problem with embossing files
that have been created with Word. Because Word by default replaces
quotes and apostrophes with "smart" versions, this has placed strange
characters into the resulting Braille. We are happy to report that this
has been corrected with this version in regards to quotes. However, the
apostrophes still appear to have a problem. This is shown when a user
pastes the text from a Word document, but not when it is opened from
Duxbury.

When we open the file we get:
8,te/+0
,? wdn't "w prop]ly 9 ! la/ v].n4

When we paste the text we get:
8,te/+0
,? wdn0,;t "w prop]ly 9 ! la/ v].n4

Please note the extra characters in the second line. For reference
purposes I have included the Word file.

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |