[dungeoncrawl] Re: Magic items

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:32:06 -0500

    Well, the rules don't say that every magical item is self-identifying=
, only 40% of them.  As a DM, you could just say your players are very un=
lucky, and always find the 60% that don't identify themselves.  Also, you=
 get a power a minute, which is 6 rounds.  So, unless you want to stand t=
here while the bad guy is turning you into a fine red mist, you may not b=
e able to wrestle their items from them.
    Does Third Edition favor the players?  I don't think so, but that's b=
ecause I use mostly NPCs (not monsters) as my villains.  The rules may fa=
vor characters, but you can create NPCs that are just as tough as any PC.=
  The rules apply across the board, and it's the DMs job to make sure tha=
t their NPCs get as many breaks as the PCs.
    In the end, I believe the DM should be providing very tough opponents=
 for the players, and I think you can do that in third edition.  I also t=
hink that we may not be using the rules to the advantage of the DM often =
enough.  For example, the new rules seem to state time and again that a l=
ot of monsters should have character levels.  The troop of gnolls isn't s=
o tough, until you make a few gnoll fighters or barbarians.  The Resistan=
ce wiped up quite a few dragons, but how would they have done against a d=
ragon cleric of Tiamat, or some dragon sorcerers?

Robert Deibler wrote:

> BOO HISS, I read that to, but don't whole heartily agree. I think it ta=
ke the flare out of magic. Little jimmy commoner walk to a ruin finds a w=
and picks it up and bam he knows all about it... Technically then when we=
 are in a battle we could all charge the enemy wrestle him to the ground =
grab his magic item and bam be able to use it back. I think some items sh=
ould be like that items with teh functionality built in, Some artificat h=
igh level magic items, but not all of them. Thats just my opinion, Crista=
 and I just last night has a discussion about that.

> Crista and I had a melee last night over rules and the game. I look at =
it this way in the DM light, and its possible good that I am playing a ch=
aracter to get that perspective. I like the rules to be limiting, attacks=
 of oppurtunity, getting hit and making CON checks to see if teh spell go=
es through Grappling, subduel. ect.. This allows for a good fight and the=
 victory to teh group that know how to utilize the rules in their favor. =
Crista did not like all the rules against spell caster. I asked her is sh=
e thought rolling the was a bother or if she just wanted me to tell her a=
ll the monsters are dead, again she didn't like that. 3rd addition alread=
y make the characters much stronger and more likely to make a save or hit=
 a monster, the rules help a DM keep a brother down, you take more out th=
en you make the game to easy for the already streriod induced characters.=
 The other side of the coin is the pace of the game and keeping Combat go=
ing. I just like to keep characters on thei
>  r toes and this in only in my DM opinion. As a chacrater I say we all =
get a bonus automatical critical once per night and three magical items p=
er night.

> Just a FYI, Tori is one of only 3 chatacers I have ever played to or pa=
st 4th level. The 1st being a druid back in the late 80's with Kevin Lehr=
=2E Saka the monk in the al quadim game with John and Tori with Damon. I =
am severally character perspective limited, so you have to excuse my one =
wayed DM look on things..