[drivingpairs] Re: the big boys

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:16:05 -0800

Sharon, the show was in October in Lexington, VA., at the Virginia Horse
Center.
As for the configuration of the hitch, I had not seen it put to wagons before.
At our Draft Horse Classic in Grass Valley, CA. I have seen the four abreast
put
to farm equipment.  A couple of years ago, a four wide had a nasty accident
when
the coupling rein between the two inside horses broke, which allowed them to
drift apart and try to split the four.  The lady driver ended up with a broken
leg.  This wreck triggered another run away.  Fortunately no horses were
seriously injured.

I have also seen pictures of 4 & 5 abreast teams pulling other agricultural
equipment, including pea harvesters on a hill side near Milton Freewater,
Oregon,
"the pea capital of the world".  The side hill was steep enough that another 4
abreast team was on TOP of the hill, belaying the harvester.  So there were
eight
horses working the combine, four pulling it AROUND the hill and four holding it
UP the hill.

The wide hitches can be used where there is sufficient room to maneuver.  They
are set up with eveners and spreaders to balance the load.  The inline hitches
were used on roads and city streets where length was more acceptabel than
width.
I have also recently seen a picture of five in a row pulling a plow.  Of course
they were walking in a furrow and the mold board of the plow was off set to
create a new furrow.

Jay E Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good
with ketchup.

And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!