[drivingpairs] tandem, randem suicide hitch

  • From: Pedfjords@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:37:02 EST

In a message dated 1/27/2006 12:04:12 AM Mountain Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> It is easier to drive a four in hand than it is to drive a tandem.  The 4's
> leaders have company and support, while the tandem leader is out there all
> by
> itself.  And if you want REAL excitement, drive a PONY tandem!  They are big
>
> enough to get you in trouble and waaay quicker than horses!  <VBG>

 Oh yea, Jay !   Agree with all of this. The 4 is much easier and gets us
into alot less drama than a tandem hitch. Anyone who knows Vic Vicroy (sp? )
knows how he lit the fire, good advice from Jay about tandem barshelped seal
the
deal,
and a " first " hitch with the 4 when Camptown Dave came to visit......all
helped us get into multiples.

      I can relate to the dreaded LA Co. Fair show ring and the wall of
public hanging out and on it, to keep you humble. I never ran over plants like
Trish, but I did manage to kick a$$ one time when I had the ONLY mini in the
tough
obsticals class.....and everyones Hackney blew up big time, and Randy
McFarland went the wrong way, so we ended up with a very cool win, playing with
the "
big boys ".

    Our wild tandem moment came this summer in a large breed show in MN. when
my mother and son pair of Fjords came trotting down the rail, right in front
of the crowd. I had looked away, but when I heard the audience sort of
gasp.....I looked up and saw my wheeler, Jule limping badly as she moved up the
rail.
Jeff got the pair stopped and I saw that the trace was totally wrapped and at
the top of her leg !  Jule couldnt care less what all the fuss was about,
even though the judge had started running towards the pair to help.....and
quick
as it happend, my 16 yr old foster kid, William got out, ( groom delux )
picked up her leg and unwrapped her, jumped back on, and she and her son Hansal
moved back out as nicely as they had started.      WHEW.

   Moments like that make you very aware of why we do not do 30 day hitch
jobs. Anyone want to see pictures of our Fjords doing pairs, unicorn, tandem
and
a 4-in-hand, let me know and I'll send along pics. Lisa Pedersen / Pedersens
Fjords