[drivingpairs] Tandem bars again

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:45:36 -0800

Here is another pic of my tandem bars, shown attached to the breast collar
harness.  I later added brass collars around the ends of the bars when I split
one.  The bars themselves are made out of 1 1/8" closet rod.  Yes, the rod you
hand your clothes on!..  They have held up for several years with no problems,
after I solved the end splitting issue.

I think you can see how the support strap goes around the breast collar.  I
loop
it through the false martingale ring to keep it centered.  Oh yes, I also use a
false martingale, which helps keep the wheelers breast collar in place.

Take another look at the photos on Picture Trail.  Go to
http://www.picturetrail.com and type TANDEMPONY in the member name box.

You will note that I use long traces in Dressage and in Pleasure Driving Shows.
I only use the tandem bars in the "speed" events, marathon and cones.  I also
drive Achenbach most of the time, again, sometimes excepting marathon and
cones.
I have discussed this with several clinicians, including Sterling, Hardy,
Mickie
Bowen, Lisa Singer, and Muffy Seaton.  Different clinicians have their own
preferences, but all agreed that one has more finesse with Achenbach over
teamster style.  Sterling and Lisa both tried to help me with the chestnut
wheeler that appears at the end of the set, but I finally gave up on her, even
though she has a history of working as a wheeler in a tandem and a four for
someone else.