[drivingpairs] starting youngsters

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:20:30 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2002 10:17:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Storybookfarms@xxxxxxx writes:

> Would you drive the young one as a single for
> a while first? Or are there thoughts on just putting them as a pair?

Sorry for my late reply, but I was away a few days. I always prefer to start
youngsters in the pair - after ground driving and doing all preliminary work
- but when it's time for hitching the first time, I prefer doing it in a pair
with an experienced horse, which does give the youngster help and confidence.
BUT when doing so, one should be familiar with pair driving already, as
always, green and green makes black and blue. So if you are new to pair
driving, then start learning pair driving best of course with a good teacher
and an experienced pair, but if you don't have access to that, and must try
it on your own, then try it with two well broke singles, not one experienced
and one green single.

Somebody wrote: "If you have any question of
control, have shorter traces on the green one, so if it should get frisky,
it can't get ahead of the other.  If it gets ahead, you no longer have
contact with the experienced horse, the one whose help you need."

I am sorry to say, that I disagree with the above advice. I always start the
youngster with slightly longer traces, AND shorter couplings in the reins, so
he does NOT have to start out pulling the carriagfe, BUT with the reins I
keep him well in hand. (Also, never start him with an evener.)  And after a
few times with all going well, then slowly I shorten his traces and lengthen
his reins to have both even. (Just saw Kathy's post, and yes, agree with her
fully. That's my way too)
Hardy