[drivingpairs] Re: starting youngsters

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:34:59 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2002 12:44:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dotbillington@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> What about starting pair that are new together?  I have one experienced
> pair horse who used to be one of Heike Bean's pintos.  The other is a
> very experienced driving horse who is pastured with this pinto, but who
> has never driven in a pair.  Can I just put them together or is there
> preparatory work to be done here?
> Thanks, Dottie

If you have experience in pair driving, then just put them together,
otherwise have somebody help you who does have pair driving experience. I
would ground drive them as a pair in an arena first, and once that goes well,
 then hitch them to the carriage and drive. Further to the earlier discussion
about not driving with an evener when starting youngsters to avoid any see
saw effect: Also here, keep in mind, when they start out unever - which they
will - when walking off from the halt, don't make the usual beginners mistake
to then hold back, just drive forward and it will all sort itself out. Also,
make LARGE turns, and first with the youngster on the outside. They can get a
little ticklish when they are on the inside and rub with that hind leg
against the pole. So be careful there.
Good luck
Hardy