[drivingpairs] rules and "The Book"

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:42:52 EDT

Since you asked for my input: Keith has represented it well, and so have
Sharon, Ken and Helen. This is what I find to be the main problem with non ADS
events, nobody really knows what the rules and standards will be (and often not
even the organizer nor his non licensed "officials"), so beginners who go there
usually as their first low level club event than come home even more
confused. I am not really jumping on non ADS events, and do understand why low
level
club events are done without ADS sanction, but I am VERY much in favor of
running them by the ADS rules, and if there are any modifications from ADS
rules,
then making that very clear to everybody, really not only competitor, but even
spectators, as we don't know how many of those are folks who want to compete
next time and when they see things done differently go home with the ideas that
that's how it's done.  So, I am not in favor of such variations from the rule
book which create such confusions.
Often I find, unfortunately, that folks run such events by the seat of their
pants, just because the don't know the rules themselves, and don't want to
bother reading the rule book. So they think, hey, as long as I do my own
"playday" type event, I can do whatever I want, and nobody can call me on being
outside of the rules, so I'm really safe, and then come up with the wildest
play
things, which quite often although seemingly great fun, are not really in the
best interest of the animals nor drivers involved, nor the sport in general.
There is no need to re-invent the wheel, the ADS rule book offers a lot of
variity
of different competitions, on the CDE end from Arena Driving Trials, through
Driving Trials to CDE's and in the Pleasure Driving area, they also have all
kind of different class possibilities. It's all right there, but one needs to
read it and follow it, which then really is in the best interest of everybody
involved in the long run, as it educates people to the same standards and is
usually safe and well proven, and quite often also in the best interest of the
animals. And I'm sure similar things are true in the breed show area and in the
draft area. Those folks surely also have their rules and when one goes there
to compete, one should be familiar with them and follow them.
I believe that home grown and self invented "rules" and games are usually
counterproductive in the long run, although, again, I will admit, that they
also
can be great fun at the time, but really, doing an ADT (or ADS Pleasure
driving classes) is no more work, not harder on anybody, and I think just as
much
fun (but the organizer needs to read the rule book, and that's why it's often
not done, I think. For the competitors it's not harder, because also on the
play
day, they need to be told what the rules are, here at least they can read the
rules before already at home, and each time they go to one, they know, what
to expect as it's usually the same again, at least should be. Rules create
standards and clarity. Not going by them ceates uncertainty and chaos. That's
how
I see this (but know that many play day organizers disagree :-)
Hardy