[drivingpairs] heavy hands and young horses

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:49:27 -0600

 How do I get them calm and confident in me?  How do I get off their faces?

Thanks...

Katie

Katie,   perhaps you haven't spent enough time with them to establish a
mutually respectful relationship.  ( No booing and hissing please.)  Have no
idea how long you've had these guys or how much time you've actually spent with
them doing non-driving stuff.    You don't have to be driving them every time
you are with them.  Driving  is new to them, plus they are youngsters and
probably haven't been away from 'home' very long.   They probably just need
time to settle in and the opportunity to get to know you.

One way I have found that helps establish a relationships is to do things with
them that they enjoy, like grooming or maybe taking them (one at a time) on a
walk.   If you have access to one of Linda Tellington-Jones' books, so some
TTouch on them.   You don't hear much about Linda anymore, but using her TTouch
system is a wonderful way to work with a horse.   Single and pair ground
driving is also a great way to work on mutual trust....it's far saver than
hitched.   They won't forget what they learned.

Another thing is the word 'trained'.   They were only started and you will do
the training.   It takes some time to make a trained horse.   It's sort of like
dancing:   When you dance with a partner the first time or two, it's awkward.
Takes practice to work as a dance team.    Same thing with your horses....and
they are still young, and for sure they are inexperienced, not just in driving,
but being with people.    Take it easy on them, they are only 'kids' and barely
learned how to pull the carriage.    They've got a ways to go.    Take it slow
and gentle.   They need your patience and understanding.   That's not to say
you should let them get away with anything.    If you let them know what
behaviour is acceptable, they will comply.

I'll give you the advice given to me when I had to hold back my first
pair.....walk, walk, walk.   When I got tired of that, I could then walk, walk,
walk.   Also practiced whoa many times during a drive.   I'd find a tree to
stop under and whoa the horses.   I wouldn't ask them to go again until they
had settled down and tried to take a nap.   Don't think Whoa is a natural
'gait', expecially for youngsters.   When you get into the carriage, don't
drive off right away.   Sit for a while.   Sit until they realize they are at
whoa, and relax.   Lots of walking and lots of whoas.   Take it slow and you
won't be sorry.

Helen