[drivingpairs] heavy hands

  • From: "Katie Blake" <ktrblake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:56:03 -0600

We are driving a young pair of Morgans that were at pasture until they were
2 and 3 and then Amish-broke to drive.  They are now 3 and 4, and have had a
month of training under saddle at a dressage barn.  Now back at home, they
get messed with on weekends and a little during the week. We want to show at
pleasure shows and eventually CDEs.

I would advice on how to lighten my hands.  I feel like the pair is always
nervous and I really have to take hold to get them to walk or stand.  At the
first sleigh rally we took them to I felt like I had a death grip on the
lines.  A couple times the older horse reared when I was asking them to
stand.  They never totally lost it, but I was definitely holding them back
90 percent of the 3 hours or so we were out.

I want to be lighter, but I don't want a runaway.  When I drive them single
or ground drive them, it seems the same.  They certainly aren't getting
driven or worked enough, but how do I make the time I DO have to work them
of the best quality?  I KNOW I can't be hanging on their faces.  Do I need
to do more ground and single work?  How do I get them calm and confident in
me?  How do I get off their faces?

Thanks...

Katie