[drivingpairs] chariot racing tv story

  • From: TXLIPPITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:35:13 EST

Hi Laura-

Yeah, I was disappointed too.  It would have been more interesting if they
would have started with some world class marathon drivers, instead of saddle
horse people who were total novices at driving.  It took them half the
program just to figure out how to drive.  Obviously none of the drivers had
any driving experience.  Maybe it was designed to mimic some reality show
like "Fear Factor" where they throw novices into dangerous situations.  I was
waiting for the segment where they make them eat horse poop.

Also I noticed they appeared to be wearing leverage bits with curb chains.
Now if you are going for speed that's not what to use, but then again they
may have needed the restraint since they were dealing with novice drivers.
(of course, they could have also put training wheels on the chariots so they
wouldn't tip in the turns...)

I can see the point in using a leverage bit with a chain with people who have
limited or no experience in driving.  I think it would have been far more
interesting if some accomplished marathon drivers were at the reins.  I also
thought it was tacky to see the red driver wailing the snot out of his horses
trying to overtake the leader as they came to the finish line.

They could have cut out all the Indy car racing and made it an hour program.
The producer could have done more research on driving, me thinks.

I think it would have been better if they talked more about the chariot
designs, the harnesses and hitching and had some drivers with experience in
speed and multiples.  And left out all the Indy scenes.  It seemed like a
real stretch to be drawing comparisons to car racing.  For all the $$$'s they
spent to build the track, the wall, the stands, the spine, you would have
thought they would have spent something on research.  Oh well.

Jon