[drivingpairs] Re: bolting

  • From: "Debra Halsted" <debrah@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:40:13 -0500

I'll second that one!  While I haven't yet cantered the boys in tandem
(cart's a little shaky) I have cantered them both as singles and even the
pair.  At one point we even had it down to correct leads.  All my young
horse learn to canter in harness with every vehicle they get hooked to -
each carriage makes different noises!  Helen's absolutely correct about the
noises of a faster moving carriage.  Make it happen at home so when it
happens away from home it's NBD (no big deal).

How to do it?  I just picked a sound/noise/word and started using it
whenever I long-lined my horses when they were younger.  Some folks like a
kissing noise, I prefer a double cluck.  When we moved to saddle work the
horses could go easily from verbal to body aids.  I don't have to tell you
how important the verbal cues are in harness!

Debra Halsted
Just Because Farm
Wheatfield IN