[drivingpairs] bolting

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:06:42 -0500

Stephanie
Do you ever practice cantering with your pair?

IMHO part of the problem with horses bolting is due to the unfamiliar sound of
the carriage picking up speed behind them,  although it's initially caused from
something else.   Normally, assuming an experienced pair, we can usually bring
the horses "back to us" when they bolt.

Sometimes, if the horses aren't used to hearing the "racing" carriage coming up
behind them, that also will frighten them.   Although most of our carriage work
is either at a walk or a trot, it's not a bad idea to practice cantering the
horse/pair.    This will allow the horses to learn/understand the noise behind
them is thier own carriage.   A good time to practice cantering is after doing
some collection work.   Cantering is relaxing then because the horses can
stretch out their muscles and they can enjoy the change to a nice slow and
controlled canter.

Hope this helps.

    Helen Roeder
Sunshine Pony Farm,