[drivingpairs] Re: Time to give up?

  • From: Stephanie <ssher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:11:08 -0400

Thanks so much to you folks who had some ideas - Nilda, Debra, Noel,
Helen, and Candis.

>He's on the right side of the pair which means he gets to worry about
>mailboxes and trash cans, not cars.  His brother Dandy, is much more laid
>back so being on the left with the oncoming car traffic is not an issue for
>him.

This is certainly a completely sensible idea, and if I do put him back
in the pair I will definitely take your advice.  The mare is much more
laid-back and I'm sure she only eventually bolted because he was rearing
and bucking and carrying on so.

>Another important point - How are YOU reacting when you come to a scary
>thing?  Are you tensing up and worrying how bad Flygill will react?

I have to admit to this too.  I've lost my confidence in him as a
driving horse.  And he used to be SO good and so clearly enjoyed driving
- ears up, nice gait, unlike how he is under saddle, in which his
favorite gait is stop.

>Two questions:
>
>1. Does he act this way when ridden?
>2. Do you drive him with blinders?

1. Now, yes, he is also acting this way when ridden.  Before the event
he was a steady to traffic as you could ever want, nothing ever bothered
him  I (did) use him for my beginner's horse.
2. At the time he wasn't wearing blinders since he went fine without
them ( very laid-back).

>Do you ever practice cantering with your pair?

You know, I don't think I have.  I've definitely practiced it with both
of them single, but I've never let them get rolling with the carriage.
When practicing it single I do it in a big field.  All our fields are
hilly and the carriage doesn't feel as stabile to me, so I've never
tried it.  Interesting idea.

>I don't know your training method, but be sure you are not rewarding your
>horse for his bad behavior by offering soothing tones and pats to 'settle him
>down'.

Oh, of course I do, and I know better too.Vocally I have been
"reassuring" him.  I think I do better with the release though, giving
little releases when he gets himself under control.  Good point.

> remember that this is a very unpredictable and dangerous sport and we
> need to do everything in our power to set ourselves up to succeed.

Too true.  Add to that that I'm 66 and have a sick husband to take care
of - I can't afford a wreck.  You've all given me something to think
about.  Thanks so much.
Stephanie
Blasted Rock Farm