[drivingpairs] Teaching

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:06:40 -0500

I didn't mean to insinuate that I would take a young horses totally unprepared
and put him with a breaking horse.  I do the ground work.  You never know what
a horse will do the first time it is put to a carriage, no matter how much
preparation you do.  If Albert has never had one totally unexpectedly break in
two, he is lucky.  99% of the time, everything goes well, but you have to be
prepared for that 1% (perhaps it is even less than that).  The horse learns it
is okay to have something fastened to it and behind it.  Then you can proceed
with your training however you feel best.  Attempting to ground driving with
the horse constantly turning towards the driver is teaching what?  Every time
you work with the horse, it learns something.  Wouldn't it be better off
learning to go forward quietly?
We have not been fortunate to have a breaking HORSE available very often.  All
our ponies were started with an old pony who taught them the ropes.  Only one
of our young horses was so lucky.  She did exactly what I expected her to do
when put with the big horse.  She stood there and didn't move.  She knew how to
drive in long lines well.  If I had put her to single, what would my options
have been?  She HAD to move forward.  With the breaking horse, she had no
option.  He walked on, and she skidded a few steps and then walked with him.
I'm not even sure if she had two drives with him, but I had no problems single
from then on.

Deryn