[drivingpairs] Re: Teaching

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

Deryn:
  I in no way mean to imply that your method doesn't work.  In fact years gone
by that was the prefered method of training.  But then horses were bred to be
"beasts of burden" which resulted in a calmer attitude in life.
  Todays horses, especially those that are shown, are bred with a lot more
energy and with that comes a little more questioning attitude.
  All the pairs I have put together in the last 40 years have not been with the
aid of a break horse.  For me to get a horse in harness as a single take me
about 90 days.  It is a very slow process in which the horse is taught what I
am asking to do.  I have not had a single or pair become an uncontrolled
runaway EXCEPT when I have tried to follow the process of an old timer.  There
is something they use in that mix that I don't understand so I have stayed with
what I have had success with.
  My ground driving is not always in a circle.  In fact they do learn a 20
meter circle, lateral movements, backing and if it is a nice day a hike down
the road.  They learn that reins can be wrapped around their backside, under
their belly and around their hind legs.  More than anything they learn to trust
me without questioning.
    They are taught early on 'If it scares you stop' I will get them out of any
problem they are in.  By maintaining a good line of comunication with the horse
I can tell when they are ready for the next step and I will proceed only at
that time.
  In the end I have a partner that will literally listen to what I say and
respond.  I have never had a teamster drive any of my horses that they aren't
impressed at how well they move out and how willing they are.  Everyone who has
driven my horse are more than impressed at how lite and responsive they are.
Seven year old kids can drive a high  powered stallion and actually get him to
do what is asked not just go in circles.
.......................................  Al
FreeLists Mailing List Manager <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
drivingpairs Digest Sat, 17 Apr 2004 Volume: 03 Issue: 075

In This Issue:
[drivingpairs] Teaching

From: "The Stewarts"
Subject: [drivingpairs] Teaching
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:06:40 -0500

I didn't mean to insinuate that I would take a young horses totally unprepared
and put him with a breaking horse. I do the ground work. You never know what a
horse will do the first time it is put to a carriage, no matter how much
preparation you do. If Albert has never had one totally unexpectedly break in
two, he is lucky. 99% of the time, everything goes well, but you have to be
prepared for that 1% (perhaps it is even less than that). The horse learns it
is okay to have something fastened to it and behind it. Then you can proceed
with your training however you feel best. Attempting to ground driving with the
horse constantly turning towards the driver is teaching what? Every time you
work with the horse, it learns something. Wouldn't it be better off learning to
go forward quietly?
We have not been fortunate to have a breaking HORSE available very often. All
our ponies were started with an old pony who taught them the ropes. Only one of
our young horses was so lucky. She did exactly what I expected her to do when
put with the big horse. She stood there and didn't move. She knew how to drive
in long lines well. If I had put her to single, what would my options have
been? She HAD to move forward. With the breaking horse, she had no option. He
walked on, and she skidded a few steps and then walked with him. I'm not even
sure if she had two drives with him, but I had no problems single from then on.

Deryn

Aspice Morgans
Albert Seminatore
Roswell, NM