[drivingpairs] "Teaching"

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:37:07 -0500

Oh, Helen.  I have to jump in on this one.  "I have found the most difficult
for an animal to learn in the beginning, is that they are being given a lesson.
  Once they figure out you are "teaching" them something, it seems to go faster
and easier."
So many people think there are neutral areas when they will just go out and
drive/ride and not bother training that day.  EVERY time you work with your
horse you are teaching it something--good or bad.  If 90% of the time you let
the horse do behavior X and the 10% of the time you are "teaching" you enforce
behavior Y, guess which one they learn.  Children too.

I strongly support hitching a green animal with a BIG, STOUT, DEPENDABLE school
horse.  Greenie goes along because they can't go anywhere else, and they learn
that it is okay.  School horse gives them confidence.  Anyone who has one of
these dependable teachers is lucky.

Deryn