[drivingpairs] Pairs personalities

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:38:01 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2004 12:14:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I've found the same thing with my pair of VSEs. The 'low' gelding will
> often
> take a shot at the dominant gelding in the pair when we are driving,
> something he would NEVER dream of doing when they're turned out. He knows
> the dominant gelding is not allowed to retaliate.

Exactly. So this is the chance  for the low end animal to once be able to get
back at the superior without immediate retaliation from that guy. And the
superior does not need to ever initiate this at work, as he can do it at other
times. But it's up to the driver to keep them focused on business and not allow
any of this. I'd warn the low end guy too, when he even thinks about it, I
touch him with the whip on the outside or at least start growling at him and
warning him to not even go any further with his thoughts. It's business
gentlemen
(and / or ladies), mind your manners, forward!  :-).

And that is all fairly easy to do with a pair, but much harder with leaders
in a four-in-hand. So those guys in the lead should be nice with each other, as
it's much harder to be able to correct them out there, and they know it too,
so the gentleman in the wheel may lose some of his good manners in the lead.
Ok, then back to the wheel, worktime! No more fun just looking pretty out
there, if you can't handle that :-)
Hardy