[drivingpairs] Pairs personalities

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:01:22 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/2004 12:25:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Is there usually a dominant
> horse in a pair?  What are the pros and cons to having a dominant member of
> a pair?  What is the happy medium?  There aren't any issues when they are
> together in harness, that I know of.......so hopefully this is just "hang
> time" behavior.  They will be in a different environment, and I want to
> keep things pleasant between the two.
>
> For turnout time, should they always be together?  Be next to each other in
> separate paddocks?  The will each have their own barn space.....they have
> been in tie stalls, with turnout time.  Am I thinking too much???

No, I don't think one can think too much, but one can worry too much. So
don't worry, and go with your best judgement. In so many ways horses are like
people, so yes, in most pairs one is dominant. It's nice if they still get
along
with each other well, but if not, well, then not. Again, just as with people.
You don't have to be good friends with your partner at work, yet, you can still
be asked to work with him, and at times can still even work fairly well with
him. Some pairs can live together all the time, even in the same stall, and
can be turned out with each other. Others cannot. Doesn't matter that much,
even
if they are not the greatest friends, they can still be asked to work
together. Once they are hitched, it's work time, not socializing time at the
water
cooler. Of course, if they really HATE each other, that's not so nice either,
but even that can be overcome by a strict and focused driver.  So see, how well
they can become friends, that's certainly welcome, but if they aren't, no big
problem either.
Hardy