[drivingpairs] Re: Hungary

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CD-L" <CD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:07:55 -0500

I am forwarding this for Ann.
Helen

     My computer at home has crashed!  So I am e-mailing from work.  Feel free
to copy and forward to the list if you'd like, as a few others were interested
in equestrian trips to Hungary.  (I will try to send a copy to the CD-L, but I
am not sure if it will accept from my work e-mail.)

     There are two areas mentioned on the description of the trip.  The first
part is about 70 km. south of Budapest.  It is the Puszta, which mean the
plains of Hungary.  That is the area where my daughter has been to ride and see
the Hungarian Cszikos.  Those are the wild guys who stand Roman-style on a pair
with three out in front "driving".
      The other part of the trip is in Eger which is northwest of Budapest.  A
truly beautiful area of Hungary, hills, and green and small waterfalls.  This
is the wine country of Hungary (Bull's Blood (Bikavér) is the most famous wine
of the region).  My mother showed my beautiful pictures of this area from one
of her trips.
     I have been in touch with Lynn Webb from the Cross Country International
Group.  She has been wonderful.  She asked me questions about my experience
with driving.  I also mentioned that I may go with my daughter who would prefer
to ride.  Lynn is looking into a trip where we both could pursue our likes.
     I am very seriously considering taking this trip next year.  I would also
spend some time with relatives in Hungary and Lynn is looking into scheduling
for me since I would visit relatives before or after the horse stuff.  I guess
that I'll be subjected to one opera!
     I'll post more as I hear from Lynn & Cross Country International.
     Ann Katona
akatona@xxxxxxx

(BTW, yesterday, Oct. 23, was the 50 anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution -
not too long afterwards, my parents made their escape)