[drivingpairs] Re: Hey all, can you explain something for me???

  • From: "Barb Lee" <rlbl73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:38:45 -0700

Beverly,

You must also find the bit centers for the width apart that they are
working.

Measure the distance between your singletree bolts.  Your reins must be
adjusted so that the bit centers fall exactly in line with the
singletree bolts.  There is a method for doing it, but I did it the
dummy way.  I determined the distance between the bolts, i.e. 34", then
I laid my lines on the ground the way they would be hooked to the horses
and monkeyed with the coupling reins until the draft reins and coupling
reins would put equal pressure on both sides of the horses' mouths when
they were 34" apart on center, and going straight.  Clear as mud?  I'll
see if I can find the article that explained it (Hitching for Lateral
Adjustment by Steve Bowers, printed in an old DDM).

BTW, the center hole in your draft (outside) reins is not necessarily
the center hole for your particular carriage.  You have to find the bit
centers to suit the width between the singletree bolts.

Barb L.