[drivingpairs] Re: drivingpairs Digest V3 #68

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:46:32 -0700 (PDT)

Beverly:
  I have a similar problem, maybe not as sever as yours, that I am trying to
resolve at this point in time.  I've been at it a year so far with a small
amount of success.
  Without sounding like I'm opposed or throwing rocks what you are experiencing
seems to me to be the way farm horses are trained.  I tend to gather that you
may be more used to saddle trained horses.
  First I put both mares on a longeline and made them respond to verbal
commands - walk; trot; halt.
  Second I put both mares in long driving lines.  We continued with the walk
trot halt commands and then taught them lateral movements and 20 meter circles.
 As the circles begn to improve we made them smaller requiring a greater bend.
  Third I put both mares undersaddle using a broken snaffle and caveson.
Repeated everything we learned in long lines.
  Fourth I put them on a spike tooth plow for very short periods of time as a
single.  The point here was that they should learn to respond to my request but
that they didn't really have to work awfully hard.  Never did I take them in a
t a sweat - that was done when they went and played.
  Since everything was done on the ground there was a LOT of walking.  If I had
any problems I went to the walk and halt till it got resolved.
  Fifth I put both mares to a sled or drag.  Teaching them to drag the arena so
that all lines are perfectly straight and the ground is very level I find an
excellent task.  It forces me to pay attention and gives them something to
focus on.  I'm still working at this stage.
But They now will walk for short periods of time.  They don't pull on the
reigns as much and are still on a snaffle.  And they pay much better attention
except for that one wonderful week each month.  Well I solved the problem with
one mare -- I bred her.

  Bottom line --- be very patient and don't plan on doing much with them till
after you have passed on.  ( It takes on heck of long time).
.......................   Al

From: "Beverly Means"
Subject: [drivingpairs] Hey all, can you explain something for me???
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:20:20 -0700

I recently started driving the pony girl pair I got in November (took me
that long to save $$$ for a pole assembly for my Puddle Jumper)

They actually pull with their mouth at times...

They lay on one another over the pole, I mean really, really push in on one
another to the point their back outside leg pushes against one another every
bit as much as it pushes forward.

This is so frustrating because my El Pony Grande, whom I drive single for
both pleasure and competition drives off of fingertips...and voice...

I got a lot of helpful stuff out of this post and I thank you for it...

The girls won't walk, won't stay upright, pull with their mouths, make my
shoulder's ache, but on the other hand, I never feel they are not
controllable or that I'm not safe driving them...

Its just so frustrating to have such dis-obedience and stress and
struggle...

So, any and all, please suggest what you may...

I am looking to re-claiming these pony mouths to tender, responsive
sensitive 'organs'

I'm thinking a lot of single driving may have to occur; though one has never
driven single but I'm not opposed to undertake that...

They are interchangeable from side to side and their previous owner said
that because of the leaning into one another they have switched sides,
somewhat successfully...

I'm just learning pair driving and I'm trying to re-train/ re-gain a more
suitable control over this wonderful set of ponies...

I invite all offers of help

Beverly

Aspice Morgans
Albert Seminatore