[drivingpairs] Re: Has anyone used a "buckback strap"?

  • From: MUMBLIN MULE <target@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:31:39 -0600

At 01:38 PM 5/15/2006, you wrote:

In a message dated 5/15/2006 2:45:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, target@xxxxxxx writes:
Carla ..... Would you rather have a horse that is eager to go forward and on the bit ?
OR one that every few yards needs to be touched with a line or the whip?

Don't tie back a horse that's eager to go unless it's a runaway and spoiled.
I have been driving a Heavyweight Horse that the folks who had him as a youngster were afraid of him.
They used a tie -back system on him and he almost quit pulling even on a wagon.

Do you know what type tie-back system was used on your horse? From what I understand about it, this particular system only works on the nose of the horse when he gets ahead of his partner--the rest of the time it does not affect him. I believe a horse is smart enough to learn that, but I could be wrong. I also understand that some people attach the buckback to the bit instead of the halter. I think that would interfere with my communication with him and don't think I want to attach it to the bit. But then again, there may be someone here who has had success with that and I'd like to hear about it if there is.

I believe it was hooked to the BIT ........ It took over a year o get him back on the bit .
every time we stopped he would back up at least one or two steps to get away from the very light pressure on his mouth.  We even went so far as to use one of those rubber straight bar bits.

AND I know what you want with a "Wagon Team"  .  But it's still easyer to hold one back than to push one forward.