[drivingpairs] Re: Has anyone used a "buckback strap"?

  • From: Dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:17:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2006 11:32:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
target@xxxxxxx writes:

I  believe it was hooked to the BIT ........ It took over a year o get him
back  on the bit .
every time we stopped he would back up at least one or two  steps to get away
from the very light pressure on his mouth.  We even  went so far as to use
one of those rubber straight bar  bits.>>
I don't think that's what I want to do. My impression when learning about
this strap was that it would be hard to adjust properly using the bit --without

interfering with the horse-- even when he was "right".  That seems an
unworkable situation because it would seem that the strap and the driver would
often be in conflict and the  horse would have no idea what to do.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has tried this using the halter.

AND I know what you want with a "Wagon Team"  .  But  it's still easyer to
hold one back than to push one forward.  >>
Exactly why I would like this--if it works....

Since no one on the list seems to have seen a buckback or stayback  strap in
use, I guess I'll try to figure it out myself and give a  report.

If you never hear from me again, it didn't work!

;-)

Carla
Walland, TN
_www.echobrookefarm.com_ (http://www.echobrookefarm.com)