[drivingpairs] Has anyone used a "buckback strap"?

  • From: Dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:36:56 EDT

Hi all,

I have a new pair of perch geldings. Am working them singly now to sort out
some minor issues and things are going well. Unfortunately, one of these
horses  is the lazy type and the other a bit forward--neither to a fault,
really,
and  they may settle in fine--but in the meantime, I'm considering trying
something I read about in one of Lynn Miller's book.

He proposes a buckback strap for a horse that wants to work forward.
Essentially, it is a forked strap with one side of the fork clipping  onto each
side
of the forward horse's halter (under the bridle). The fork  comes together
somewhere behind the whithers into a single strap which  clips to the single
tree
of the slower horse.  The way I understand it,  when the forward horse wants
to get ahead, he finds himself pulling the load  with his nose (all that
pressure being applied to the halter rings) and he slows  down. The strap is
adjusted in such a way that the horse feels no pressure when  both beasts are
pulling equally. According to Miller this works very well.  Obviously, it has
to be
applied so there is no risk of a horse getting tangled  in it. Has anyone here
tried this? Any advice before I try it myself?

Thanks,
Carla Hawkinson
Townsend, TN
_www.echobrookefarm.com_ (http://www.echobrookefarm.com)