[drivingpairs] Re: Harness--Details

  • From: "Anewton" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:28:57 -0500

    Just another point of view again.
     Spring poles can bounce quite a bit and hit horses in the face if the
whole picture is not adjusted correctly. Drop poles can be more stable and
not have to be tightened too severely depending on length of pole and how
horses are positioned.
    Some horses get very rubbed attached with breast collars to a spring
pole as breast collar with one link is pulled into center of pole rubbing a
shoulder.
    I also have to share that just because everyone else at a competition
isn't harnessing a particular way doesn't make it wrong for your individual
horse. I was reluctant to change to neck collars because no one else I could
see was using them. I did switch and my horses are much more comfortable and
happy now when driving.
    To solve the problem of fit use adjustable collars, with adjustable
hames with different draft points and small neck pads if needed. Unless your
horses are of vastly different sizes these should work for quite a range of
horses.
    As for the strap that connects the neckstrap to saddle, I would be
curious how that changes the pressure on other parts of the breastcollar.
    One of the more eye-opening things I did this year was have someone else
drive as I walked beside my horse/horses and put my hand under different
parts of the harness. I had a much better understanding where the pressure
was as they went up and down hills and on the flat .
    Good luck Judy!

Ansley